What is Employee Appreciation Day? and Why Recognizing Your Employees Matters.
When it comes to the task of motivating employees, it can be difficult to find the correct path, because there are many ways to do it. One of them is Employee Appreciation, but what exactly is that?
What is Employee Appreciation?
Let’s be clear, employee appreciation is not just about saying thank you or handing out small tokens of showing gratitude. Employee Appreciation is recognizing and acknowledging the hard work, effort, and dedication that your employees/ coworkers put into their job every day. Is a way of showing your employees that you appreciate their work, and this will create a positive work culture that promotes motivation, loyalty, and commitment.
What is Employee Appreciation Day?
The celebration of Employee Appreciation Day started in the US, to show the employees how the company cares about their job, and now it has been extended to other parts of the world. This annual celebration takes place on the first Friday of March and is the day dedicated to recognizing and showing gratitude for the hard work and dedication of employees or colleagues in the workplace.
While some people may see this as just another day on the calendar, the reality is that taking the time to celebrate Employee Appreciation Day can have a significant impact on workplace culture, employee morale, and many other benefits in the workplace.
Why is it important to Celebrate Employee Appreciation Day?
Let’s explore why celebrating Employee Appreciation Day is so important.
Boosts Employee Morale:
When employees feel undervalued or ignored, it can lead to low morale, decreased motivation, and even burnout. But if employees feel appreciated, they are more likely to feel valued and satisfied with their job, which leads to increased motivation and productivity. Celebrating Employee Appreciation Day is a great way to show employees that their daily hard work and contributions are noticed and appreciated.
Improves Workplace Culture:
A positive workplace culture is essential for employee engagement and retention, because nothing sucks more than working in a place where you don’t feel well. That is why, if employees feel like they are part of a positive and supportive work environment, they are more likely to be happy and engaged at work. Showing Appreciation in this day can foster a positive workplace culture and make your employees feel that their contributions are valued and that they are an important part of the team.
Increases Employee Retention:
One thing that always affects business, is when employees leave, because it comes with costs and disruptions. Showing your team that they are appreciated and valued, can decrease the turnover. Remember that if employees feel that their hard work and contributions are recognized and appreciated, they are more likely to stay with a company long-term.
Enhances Employee Recognition:
Employee recognition is an important aspect of employee appreciation, because it can boost the confidence and motivation of the employees. Celebrating Appreciation Day is a great chance to recognize the achievements and contributions of your team in the workplace.
How to Celebrate the Employee Appreciation Day?
But how can you celebrate this appreciation Day? Here are some creative and effective Ideas to show your employees how much you appreciate them.
- Personalized notes or cards: A simple and effective way to show appreciation is to write thank you or personalized notes to each employee. This will make them feel valued and appreciated on an individual level.
- Show off their achievements: Highlight the achievements of your team by featuring them on the company's website, social media, or newsletter. This will showcase their hard work and motivate them to do even better.
- Host a company-wide event: Organize a company-wide event such as a team-building activity, a lunch party, or a happy hour. This will allow employees to bond, relax and enjoy each other's company.
- Reward programs: Implement a reward program that recognizes employees for their hard work and dedication. For example, you can give out bonuses, promotions, or extra paid time off.
Recognition and Rewards for Employees
Whether it's through a simple thank-you note or a more elaborate celebration, make sure to take the time to recognize and appreciate your employees on Employee Appreciation Day and throughout the year.
Here are some tips on how to keep an appreciation culture in the company during all year:
- Regular feedback: Provide regular feedback to your team, both formally and informally.
- Professional development opportunities: Offer your employees opportunities for professional growth, such as training programs, conferences, and mentorship.
- Compensation and benefits: Ensure that your employees are fairly compensated and have access to comprehensive benefits packages.
- Recognize the good work: Give recognition for all the jobs well done, for example, you can use an Employee Recognition Software like Evergreen, to show your employees that they are appreciated and valued, while doing something good for the planet too. Want to know more? Book a Demo today
Recognise good work in your team while doing good for the planet
Evergreen is the only peer-to-peer recognition app that lets teams recognise a job well done, while planting trees for the planet. For the ultimate positive, feel-good team culture.